Hospital Update

Monday evening I got a picc line put in my arm, which is a new and weird experience.  It didn’t hurt any more than getting an IV, but it’s a central line.  Basically instead of the inch or so of tubing that goes into your vein with an IV, it is more like 42 inches of tubing that starts in my arm and goes into my chest.  They use an ultrasound machine to find the right vein in your arm and then do a chest x-ray when they are done so they make sure the line ends up in the right place.  It looks a little something like this:

Monday night I also had a chest CT which showed the pneumonia and that I am also free of blood clots, which they wanted to check on too.  This was the first CT I had with a dye contrast and of course I was allergic to the dye, I had scary red chest and started itching really bad.  They gave me benadryl and steroids and in a couple hours was back to normal.

The past couple days I’ve been getting 3 different kinds of IV antibiotics on a pretty constant rotation.  This morning Dr. Ellis stopped by and said I looked a lot better, but that my white count was still going down.  Today it was 1.3 (normal range is 4-10) and anything less than 3 is neutropenic.  He said he wasn’t going to send me home with pneumonia while neutropenic and that, just to be safe, he wanted to do a bone marrow biopsy.  Surprise!  So in a matter of 30 minutes of him saying that, Dr. Anderson was up in my room ready to do it.  It seemed to hurt a little more than I remember and I am defiantly more sore than I remember being in the past as well.  I hope to hear something about the results tomorrow, it’s pretty worrisome just waiting.  Dr. Ellis said he didn’t think the leukemia is back, that it was probably just some of the meds I’m on messing with my counts, but I still worry.  This evening I got a neupogen shot, which raises your white count, and if that kicks my white count up I should be able to go home.  At this point I’m thinking it won’t be until Friday…  Oh, and I haven’t had a single fever since I’ve been admitted either.

Last night Chris & Cindy, Heather & Dan and John visited.  John didn’t think Ryan should come up since he was not feeling well, he pretty much slept all day yesterday.  He was feeling better today, so John and his sister Shannon brought Ryan up to see me for a while.  We went to the kitchen (we have a private kitchen on this floor) and I fed him some ice cream and showed him off to all my nurses.  🙂

I will keep you all posted with the results of the bone marrow biopsy and when I think I’ll be able to break outta this joint!


9 thoughts on “Hospital Update

  1. Lots of healing thoughts and prayers coming your way, Laura! You handle everything with such strength and grace it amazes me….Love you!


  2. Hey Laura, I bet Ryan was the hit of that floor. Were they all enamoured with him as we are?

    We got 11 inches last night, did you too? Heard it was heading toward St. Louis. I hope the snow doesn’t interfere with your release from the hospital. Love you, girl.

  3. So sorry you’re having to go through all of this : ( You’re still in our prayers and please let us know if you need anything!

  4. Hi Laura, I’m so sorry you’re in the hospital again. You are in my thoughts and prayers every day. If you need me for ANYTHING! please let me know. Give baby Ryan a big hug and kiss from Ninny.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s