Last Tuesday I started the IV antibiotics, a z-pak and then saw Dr. Ellis on Thursday. He wanted me to hold all my chemo drugs, monitor for fevers and come back on Monday for a chest x-ray then see him again on Tuesday.
Yesterday I had to go into outpatient at 2:30 for my dose of the antibiotics and around 1:30 my temperature was 101.3. I took some pain pills and a bath and by the time I got to my appointment my fever was down to 99 something. They called the on-call doctor to let her know and she started me on a new antibiotic and let me know to call if it got up around 101 again. Poor John was on his own with the little dude last night because I was just out of commission, around 6:30 I went to bed and was running a fever of 101.9 by 9:30. So I called the on-call doctor again and she said that if I felt any shortness of breath or anything to go to the ER, otherwise we’d wait til the morning unless I felt otherwise. I told her that I’d rather sleep in my own bed and she told me to call first thing when the office opened at 8:30 and she’d pass these notes along to Dr. Ellis.
I got a call at 8 this morning telling me go ahead and go over for the chest x-ray then and then come into the office to see the doctor. I got the x-ray and was over to their office by 10. I met with him and he thought it was best if I was admitted since I should not be running fevers like that while on IV antibiotics (as well as a few other oral antibiotics). My chest x-ray looked better and he said my lungs sounded better, but that we’d just be safe and keep me in the hospital for 3 or 4 days. So I’m in my room (529) waiting to get picc line so we can get started on the several kinds of antibiotics I’ll be having. Kind of makes me miss the hickman.