2B: Days 2, 3 & 4

Tuesday Morning (2B2) I woke up still in the hospital, feeling pretty good.  I had the spinal tap the day before and I seemed to have some stiffness higher in my back, like between my shoulder blades, but nothing too bad.  Sara came in for the day and got in town just in time for me to be discharged from the hospital.  My treatments for the day were the chemo shot and the chemo pills.  As we were walking to her van, I started feeling a little nauseous.  We were talking about where we should go to lunch and I suggested that maybe we drop by prescriptions off at Wal-Mart and maybe we can decide something by then.  I was really not feeling well by that point so we just went back to the house.  On the way at a stoplight I thought I was going to puke so Sara whipped it in park and ran around to get a Wal-Mart bag from the trunk.  We pulled over after that light, but I was able to hold it until we got home.   I got sick once, then we went downstairs to lay on the couch for a while.  We decided to get Jimmy Johns for lunch, but the process of moving from the basement upstairs caused me to get sick again.  I was in rough shape, I told Sara I just needed to take a nap for a half an hour.  When I woke up Amy had got back with the Jimmy Johns and they were feeding the kids lunch.  I was sweating and my head was killing me when I was sitting up so I layed back down.  I got back up and then layed down again.  I felt so bad that Sara had come down for the day and I couldn’t even stay awake while she was here.  She told me not to feel bad, that she wanted to be there for the good days and the bad.  I said, “like we’re married”?   That’s just another reason why Sara is the best.  At least she got to know and hang out with Amy for the day.  Thanks to both of them for taking care of  Ryan when I could not even take care of myself.  Later that night I was able to eat some food and keep it down.

Wednesday (2B3) I had to be at outpatient at 9AM for my chemo shot.  I woke up at 8:35 since my phone had died from not being charged the night before.  I took a quick shower and made it there on time.  I was still getting a pretty bad headache every time I sat up so by the time I got there I was ready to lay down.  I took a bed in outpatient instead of a chair.  It went smoothly since I didn’t have to go to the drs office for labs first.  I was out of there by 10:30.  I had to go to Wal-Mart to pick up a prescription on the way home and that was rough.  I about had to stop at the same place I made Sara stop the day before, but  I made it home and into bed.  I stayed there for several hours.  Around 2:30 I decided to eat some lunch, then layed on the couch for a couple hours then back into bed.  I woke up when John & Ryan got home but napped while they ate dinner.  I layed on the couch until Ryan went to bed.  I didn’t eat dinner, got sick around 8 and went to sleep. On a brighter note, it was Mom’s birthday.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM, I love you 🙂

Today (2B4) I had to be at outpatient at 9AM again.  I was planning on driving myself again today, but I just wanted John to stay home with me.  He took Ryan to Prime and came back.  I tried to eat a bagel before my appointment, but got sick right before we left the house.  I was fine once I got back into the bed at outpatient.  Once we were done, I didn’t even make it out of the building before I had to make a pit stop in the bathroom.  And this time on the drive home, John pulled over at the same place (which just so happens to be a funeral home…) and I did puke several times there.  I crawled into bed when we got home and I haven’t left since.  We napped and watched the Cards game.  I am feeling better now.  I had a glass of water to take the 10 pills I have to take in the afternoon and I’ve now successfully kept down a Dr. Pepper.  I will want to get up and see Ryan when he gets home so I hope this lasts.  The past few days I’ve been completely useless and I hate that feeling, I can’t even play with my little man and have barely seen John since I go to sleep so early.  John has been fantastic, he’s such a good Dad, makes me love him even more when I see him and Ryan together.

I hate having to write blog posts like this, but I guess it’s the reality of it.  I get a break from the shots until Monday.  I think it’s a combination of those and still feeling the effects of the spinal tap (the not being able to sit up without a headache) that’s causing all of this.  I’m hoping for a good weekend with my boys, we have no plans, I’m sure we’ll take it easy.


9 thoughts on “2B: Days 2, 3 & 4

  1. Your diagnosis is probably correct, Laura. Spinal headaches are awful. I haven’t had a tap, but I had back surgery in the fall and experienced one of the worst headaches I have ever had. You are wise to take it easy and loading up on as much healthy fluids as you can tolerate water, juice, etc. may help. They’ve probably already told you all this stuff, but just in case…. Anyway, we’re praying for better days ahead for you. Hang in there!!! 🙂

  2. Laura,
    I just heard about what was going on, I’m sorry I am soo clueless! I want you to know my thoughts and prayers have been with you every day since. If you ever need any help with Ryan PLEASE ask! Landon would love to have another playmate. I also get done with school may 28 so I will be around in June if you need anything at all… I’m serious! My # is 894-1076 if you want to call.


  3. I’m sorry you’ve been feeling so crummy, sweetheart. You’re doing what your body needs you to do right now, so keep paying attention. I’m also hoping you have a low-key weekend with your boys. Love you!

  4. So glad you wrote, I was thinking about you for the last few days are realized it must be some tough times. How do I book a visit with you? I have 3.5 vacay days I need to use before June and I want to come down and take you to Wal-Mart, and puke stops and Jimmy Johns!!

  5. Sorry you have been feeling so sick Lowa. Glad that Amy and Sara and John are taking such good care of you. Good job Cowboy!
    Love you! And you’re not being useless…you’re doing what needs to be done to let your body rest!

  6. Hi Laura,

    Just wanted to let you know that we are praying for you. I’m praying that the headaches go away and you don’t get sick. You are doing what your body needs you to do- rest. Don’t feel guilty. You have a lot of friends and family that are rallying for you! Hang in there! We are here to help so please use us!

  7. Laura, baby girl,

    I’m so sorry you have been feeling so badly. I do hope it wasn’t because of your l-o-n-g trip to KC.

    Lock your door, turn out the lights, stay in bed, feel better.

    Love you.

  8. Laura,
    I just want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Your blog is very touching. I hope you do have a really great weekend with your boys!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s